Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I never thought I’d do Hindi projects: Sendhi

Popular Indian-American actor and Heroes star, Sendhil Ramamurthy, speaks to Hyderabad Times on working in Hindi films, being an Indian in Hollywood and much more.....

Your first Indian-British film is about to release in India. What made you say yes to the project?
One of the most important reasons being, the film fit my time schedule. I had just finished the third season of Heroes and was waiting for the fourth season to begin. I got the offer from Gurinder and jumped at it. I always wanted to work with her. Plus the film was being shot in London — a city I absolutely love. I’ve lived in London for seven years and have a house there. So my wife and kids were there with me and I loved every moment of it. I play a British-Indian police officer in It’s a Wonderful Afterlife, who is undercover to investigate a string of murders happening in the Indian community in Southall. It’s essentially a very Gurinder Chaddha film — specific and extremely Punjabi in nature.

How was the experience of working with Shabana Azmi?
Unfortunately our characters in the film hardly have scenes with one another. The only lines we would say were ‘Hello Auntie’ and ‘Hello Raj’. So, whenever Shabana and I would pass by each other on the sets we would repeat these lines and it became a big joke. But she is a great actor. My parents have been big fans of Shabana and when they knew I was doing a film with her, they came on the sets to meet and take pictures with her.

Being born and brought up in the US how much do you relate to Indian characters you play?
For someone raised in America I had to do a lot of research before playing Indian characters. I came to Mumbai in January to shoot for Ekta Kapoor’s Shor and that’s when I picked up the finer nuances that would help me.

So, how was that experience?
It was different altogether. In India they are a little less organised but surprisingly they get things done! I remember shooting on the roads of Mumbai. It was total chaos. The whole shot went perfectly but then we had to re-do it because someone was shouting. It can be really frustrating, but then you learn how to overcome such obstacles.

Did you ever plan to work in Hindi films?
Honestly, two to three years ago, I never thought of doing Hindi projects. I love watching the song and dance film churned out by Bollywood, but I was never interested in acting in one of them. Then I heard that the Hindi film industry was making movies which were character-based. I thought if someone offers me something interesting and gritty in nature, I would do it.

If you get the kind of offers you like, would you consider settling down in India?
No, I wouldn’t. My favourite place in the world is London. I just love the energy and vibe of the city. It’s much suited to me than living in India or the US.

You interacted with a lot of Bollywood stars while on your trip to India ...
Yes and I must say that I realised all actors think alike -whether they are from Bollywood or Hollywood. The conversation was on films and directors. I didn’t know what to expect, but everyone made me feel so comfortable and welcome.

Is it difficult for a person of Indian origin to get the kind of roles he/she likes in Hollywood?
Yes, it is a big obstacle for sure. But you have to be lucky. I’m not saying that I’m the best Indian-American actor to walk this planet — but I got lucky. There are others too who are better prepared and trained than me. But the only difference between us is luck.

The last Hindi film you saw...
I began to watch Three Idiots, but couldn’t complete it. Then there’s My Name Is Khan which I’m yet to watch. But that’s just because of my work schedule. I think I’m the only person on this planet who hasn’t watched Avatar.

Are your kids aware of the fact that you are a popular actor?
My son Alex is just two years old and he has no clue. As for my daughter Helena, she has seen posters of me and thinks it’s very normal. She has been on the sets while I’m shooting, but as such, she is not aware I’m an actor. I don’t let my daughter watch Heroes. It’s not meant for four-year-olds.
TOI

No comments: