Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My biggest acting lessons came from my Chips shop:Boman Irani

IF Boman Irani’s life were a book, then it would most definitely make for one interesting read. Having seen life as a waiter, sitting behind a counter in his chips shop, as a thriving photographer and a respected theatre actor, he is the sum of all his earlier lives and in his best chapter yet — as an actor with an enviable body of work!

Does he sometimes rue the fact that he arrived a tad too late in the Hindi film industry? He avers, “I never say I have arrived. I say I have come. My biggest lessons in acting came from my chips shop where I would observe people when they would come to buy chips. I’d like to think of my life as different chapters. I think I’m going through my best chapter in life right now.”

Talking of chapters the actor reveals his penchant for reading and adds, “I am into reading biographies. I am currently reading the biography of Anthony Hopkins who is one of my favourite actors.” As one of the busiest actors in the industry today, we ask if accolades and awards work for him. “Iget good feedback from my family on the roles I do. My kids get really excited when I get awards or acclaim for a film. My take is, if it gives my family so much happiness to see me winning accolades then why deny them that.” Having recently worked with Shyam Benegal, Boman talks about his experience of working with the veteran of Hindi cinema. “When Shyam called me for his film, we spoke for about five minutes and I realised I had just made a friend. Watching one of the frontrunners of Hindi cinema at work is in itself an education.” The versatile actor definitely seems to be rated high as a co-star because of his oft repeated screen pairings.

Does trust come implicitly in an industry where friendships change by the Friday? “It is true that I share a comfort level with people like Arshad Warsi, Raju Hirani, Riteish Deshmukh, Shabana Azmi and Dia Mirza among many others. Maybe it is the theatre background, but then I believe that acting is a lot about trusting the other guy. And that does not come easy. It is almost a divine feeling when you are dependent on another person with nothing but an inate trust to go on.”

Talking about the new wave of cinema we are witnessing owing to young filmmakers making filmy forays, Boman says, “There is a lovely change happening in the industry right now and so many breakthroughs happening everyday. Although I must say that we need more women directors wielding the camera. I thought Wake up Sid was quite promising and would love to work with Ayaan Mukerji in future.” With films like Banda Yeh Bindass Hai, Crooked and the sequels of Dostana and Don in his kitty the actor looks favourably poised to sail through 2010.

And just when you think you have him figured out, he stumps you yet again as he says, “It has been an interesting journey and I do see myself getting into direction at some point. But that’s another chapter, still to come.”

No comments: